When installing updates automatically on Windows, as well as installing other software on your computer, users experience the problem of audio service is not running. There can be many reasons for this; one of the main reasons – in Windows 7 and 10, audio services are not running. In this case, you can see on the panel below the monitor on the right side the sound icon will be crossed out, or there is a circle with a crossed out line next to it.
The main reasons leading to loss of sound, as well as ways to solve them
What makes the sound on a laptop, computer, etc., disappear? In most cases, the reason for this is the user’s own errors in handling the operating system. So, what to do if you do not have the sound on the laptop.
The first step is to check the availability of the necessary drivers for the sound card. Perhaps they need to be updated, or you do not have them at all. By the way, driver errors are half the reasons for which the soundtrack on the laptop disappears.
In order to see which devices on your laptop or computer need to update the drivers, you need to open the device manager, which you can find in the control panel.
In the dispatcher window all drivers installed on a laptop, computer, etc. are systematized and presented. With it, you can check the availability, performance, or relevance of drivers.
If any item is marked with a yellow triangle, you should pay attention to it! Devices responsible for sound reproduction are located in the “Sound, gaming and video devices” tab.
Perhaps the most trivial, but at the same time the most common reason for which the sound disappears – its unconscious shutdown in the mixer. A mixer is a system with which you can adjust the volume of specific applications.
You can open the mixer by clicking on the corresponding caption in the volume control window. When you start the mixer, make sure that all parameters are non-zero.
Not less often, there is another reason due to which the sound disappears on a laptop or stationary computer. Its essence lies in the system turning off the output devices themselves. This can be caused by system errors, device configuration changes, and user intervention.
#Method 1: Restarting to start audio services in Windows
- If your audio service is not running, you need to start it. To do this, click the right button on the “Start” menu.
- Next, select the item “Computer Management” from the list.
- In the window that appears, click the last item “Services and Applications,” “Services.”
- In the screen that opens, find the line “Windows Audio” and double-click on it.
- Here select the “Startup type” section, select “Automatic” from the list and select “Apply” and “OK” at the bottom of the window.
Starting Windows Audio Service
Windows Audio Services has 3 additional services. If at least one of them does not work properly, an error 1068 will appear on your monitor, which will inform you that the child services have failed to start. In this case, you need to configure them. For this:
- Open Windows services again and select Windows Audio, which you double-click on.
- In the screen that appears, select the “Dependencies” tab.
- Here, find the 3 child services and connect them (“Class Scheduler,” “Tool for building points,” and “Calling procedures.”
#Method 2: Driver settings to start audio services in Windows
If you correct the situation when the audio service is not running, check the audio device, there may be a problem with the sound driver, and if so, you need to reinstall it.
- Click on the “Start” menu with the right button and click “Device Manager” from the list. Next, find among the list of equipment “Gaming, sound and video devices” Device Manager
and click on this item.
- The devices that are responsible for the sound on your computer will open. These are sound cards. Usually, they are integrated with the motherboard, and the drivers are installed with the drivers on the motherboard. Sometimes it happens that they may not work; in this case, devices will have question marks that report a device driver that is not working.
- If the driver does not work correctly, or it is missing, click on it with the mouse button and select the first item “Update drivers.” The system itself will find the driver on the network, using only reliable sources for this, usually the sites of the hardware manufacturers for which the driver is searched.
#Method 3: Check the audio output device
In the event that the sound did not appear, and you have already started the audio service, check that the audio output devices are connected correctly – speakers, headphones.
You may have inserted the plug into the wrong jack. The green plug is a signal plug; it must be connected to the same color of the connector on the back or front panel.
The sound port on the back panel
If you connect a stereo system with the main subwoofer, then make sure that the corresponding sound output circuit is set up in the manager, and also make sure that your sound card supports a multi-channel sound circuit before connecting. Check the integrity of the cable with which headphones or speakers are connected. Make sure the device itself is in good condition.
If you do not have any result, try running the audio troubleshooting:
- Right, click the options button on the sound icon at the bottom right.
- Click “Detect audio problems.”
- The diagnostics will start, the system will determine the connected devices, and you should confirm them by pressing “OK.”
Click again on the sound icon at the bottom of the RMB taskbar and select “Open volume control.” And check the volume level, maybe you removed it to a minimum in the last session and forgot about it. Make sure that all sliders are set to a high position to check for sound.
Select another “Playback devices” item here to check the device’s compliance. It so happens that you plug in headphones, but the system detects the wrong device, and no sound is output to the device.
Therefore, click on the desired device from the list and select its right click and click “Check.” The system will reproduce the testing sounds for this device, and the indicator must be movable when the speakers and headphones are in good condition.
Other reasons for the lack of sound on a computer or laptop
Try to change the definition of the device by the system, select the device with the right mouse button, and click “Properties.”
A window will open, select the Advanced tab and if you have a sampling rate of 16 bits, 44100 Hz, then choose another option from the list, for example, 24 bits, 44100, etc. and click “Check” next to it to check for sound.
Try several options. If the sound does not appear, try restarting the Windows Audio Services.