Csrss.exe trojan what is the process?
The csrss.exe is an important component of the Windows system. If you open the Task Manager, you will be able to detect several running processes.
What does he do? Csrss.exe is required for console programs (executed using the command line) programs, and also helps to turn off and start other processes, for example, conhost.exe.
In no case do not touch csrss.exe, because otherwise, the operating system may experience critical problems. This process starts automatically immediately after starting Windows.
If you delete or disable it, then the system will probably give you a blue screen and an error with code C000021A. Then, to fix it, you need to perform a reinstallation or wait until the end of the troubleshooting process.
Csrss.exe is an executable file necessary for many system processes. It is mainly known as the Client / Server Execution Process and runs on all versions of Windows.
Do not worry about security. However, Csrss.exe must be inside the System32 directory. If you notice this file inside other folders, then it is a virus or a trojan that hides under the name Csrss.exe and quietly harms the computer.
How does csrss.exe act in the system?
Many users consider it a virus and forget that in fact, it is an important component of Windows. However, if the file is not inside unexpected folders, such as AppData, Temp, Local, etc., then you should not delete it.
When the system is infected with a malicious counterpart, you should immediately take preventive measures to prevent negative consequences.
As a member of a trojan or virus, Csrss.exe will never attempt to delete your own data or the necessary system components, but will undoubtedly change some critical parameters.
It will also allow other dangerous programs or viruses to attack your system, exposing it to vulnerabilities. Thus, a computer with Csrss.exe installed is completely at risk of infection.
On such a device, you will notice changed browser settings, unwanted or malicious entries in the Windows registry, blocking access to several administrative utilities, installed useless applications or browser extensions, and more. Such “adjustments” can easily affect the overall performance of the system, which will only worsen computer use.
The pre-installed antivirus may be unable to identify and remove Csrss.exe. That is why the malware is active, leaving no traces.
But, following a few tutorials, you can easily solve problems that may arise in the future. Csrss.exe can be removed manually.
Steps to remove Csrss.exe trojan from an infected computer
Various malicious processes, as well as programs, trojans, and miners, are designed to generate earnings for their developers, who use any methods to do this.
However, most security experts claim that the Csrss.exe virus is not very dangerous, and it is easy to remove it from an infected computer in just a few steps.
We hope that you do them in the correct order and with all care, and then easily free your computer from the virus.
We recommend preparing a paper copy of the instruction or using another device to avoid problems during the following steps:
- find and disable Csrss.exe in the system processes section using the Task Manager;
- find and remove the program from downloads, registry and host files;
- remove Csrss.exe from all known browsers;
- use the automatic method (the safest and recommended by us).
Method1: Find and disable this trojan in the system processes section using the Task Manager
- Launch the Task Manager by simultaneously pressing the key combination “Ctrl + Shift + Esc”.
- Look for suspicious processes and record the location of the found file.
- Remove the task from csrss.exe.
- Select the “Win + R” keys, enter the address of the location of the virus, and then press “Enter.”
- Get rid of the specified folder.
Method 2: Find and remove the csrss.exe program from downloads, registry and host files
- Go to the “Explorer” or any folder.
- In the above menu, click View to open the options window. Users of the old version of Windows can go to the Control Panel.
- Click on the “Options” button.
- Click the “View” tab.
- Scroll down to find the option to show the files and folders hidden on your computer, and then select the check box.
- Find the option to hide protected system files and uncheck the box. This will allow you to see the hidden data in any folder and identify suspiciously.
Remove csrss.exe from the Windows Registry
- To open the “Registry Editor,” click the combination “Win + R.”
- Type in “regedit” or just copy and paste into the box. Click “OK”.
- Browse to the registry files below, depending on the version of the operating system (32-bit or 64-bit), and delete. [HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run] or [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run] or [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Wow6432Node Microsoft Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run].
- Now run the “Explorer.” To find and remove suspicious executables from it, go to “% appdata%” and close the window.
Repair the Hosts file and block unwanted transitions in all active browsers
- Open the “Explorer” and then the Windows directory.
- Go to “System32 / drivers / etc / host”.
- Run the host file using Notepad. If the system is infected with a virus, below, you will see several definitions of IP.
- Select these IP addresses and delete them (just don’t touch the local host record).
- Save and close the file, and exit the “Explorer” window.
Method 3: Remove this from all popular browsers
Remove csrss.exe from Google Chrome
- Launch the Chrome browser.
- Click on the main menu icon and select “Advanced Tools” and then “Extensions.”
- Scroll through the list of installed extensions. Look for strangers, and click on the “Delete” button below.
- Agree with the selected action.
- Finally, reset your Chrome settings. To go to the parameters section, click on the menu icon.
- Then click on additional parameters and at the very end of the page, click on the “Reset” button.
- Agree with the selected action.
Remove from Mozilla Firefox
- Launch Firefox. To open the extensions page, press “Ctrl + Shift + A” and then on the “Extensions” tab.
- Find Csrss.exe and disable.
- Now go to the help section. Click the menu icon, and then select Help.
- Open troubleshooting information and click “Clear Firefox.”
- Confirm the action.
Remove csrss.exe from Internet Explorer
- Just start the browser and click on the gear icon located on the panel on the right.
- Go to the settings section.
- Now open the “Toolbar and Extensions”. Review the list of installed add-ons and look for suspicious ones. Disable or permanently remove selected extensions.
- To reset Internet Explorer, click on the gear, then select “Internet Options.”
- On the Advanced tab, find the reset option.
- Agree with the selected action.
Also, in most cases, it is necessary to remove the shortcuts of all installed browsers on the computer. We advise you to perform the following steps:
- Find the shortcut and click on it using the right mouse button. Click “Properties.”
- In the new window, click on the “File Location” button.
- Then find the target parameter and remove Csrss.exe.
- Apply your changes.
Video on csrss.exe Trojan