There are bugs in Google Chrome that are still too annoying, and not all users know how to solve these problems.
Today we have to talk about one of the most common errors that occur with this browser.
This is a problem with the Widevine content decryption module.
If you have problems like this, keep in mind that this problem is very common in Netflix and your experience will probably be the same in Amazon Prime.
And is there something worse in today’s problems?
Do you want to fix this? Continue reading this post, and you will find an immediate solution to this error in a few seconds.
What is a Widevine content decryption module?
Many users using Chrome or Netflix receive this error message when the Widevine content decryption form is displayed on the screen.
This is a gift in Google Chrome, which is activated when you install the software for the first time. This is not what you need to install manually.
The Widevine content decryption module is a decryption mechanism built into Chrome browsers that allows you to play HTML5 video and audio with DRM protection in Netflix.
Use this plugin to view/transmit HTML5 audio and audio with DRM protection in Chrome (for example, Netflix). If the browser is outdated or cannot be found, this problem will occur.
To access it, enter “chrome: // components /” in the Chrome browser:
By using these DRM technologies, content creators and owners can set rules for viewing and copying protected multimedia content.
Solve the problem of the widevine content decryption module
Below are some common solutions to this error in different browsers. Usually, the problem is solved by a simple update.
When this happens on Netflix, the following error message appears Netflix Error M7357-1003.
Widevine content decryption module and Chrome
This is a common error in Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. It occurs when browsers cannot find a module or find it obsolete.
Solution 1. Update the Widevine content decryption module
First of all, you should try to update the add-on and check if the problem has been solved. If you see the “Update error” or “Error update” error message, you can try other solutions.
To update it, you need to do the following:
- We use Chrome to update the plug-in. Follow the instructions below. Also, make sure you are running Chrome in audit mode. Right-click on Chrome and select Run as administrator.
- After opening Chrome, type the following address in the address bar and press Enter: Chrome: // components /
- Scroll to the bottom of the page until you find an entry called Widevine Content Decryption Module. Click the Check for update button.
- Close the browser and restart the computer to see if the problem has been solved.
This allows you to update the Widevine content decryption module and use the Netflix service. Otherwise, you should look for other options, such as: analyze your computer with the help of a good antivirus program.
Solution 2: Change the permissions for the Widevine content decryption module
This step requires a little more technical knowledge, but it pays off if the first solution doesn’t work. It works, so you need to check the permissions of the plug-in folders to make sure you have full control before trying the first solution again. To start:
- Click on Windows + R to launch the Run application.
- Type “% userprofile% / appdata / local” in the dialog box and press Enter.
- Then click on the following file path: Google> Chrome> User Data
- Now go to the “Security” tab and check if the user has full access. (Check this by selecting the “Full Control” checkbox.) If you have full access, this is normal.
- If you do not have complete control, you must select your profile, click “Edit” and uncheck the box under the “Disable collection” column. This will allow full access to the account.
- Now click Apply to save the changes and exit.
- Check if the problem has been solved and you can update the article.
Solution 3: delete and update the plugin directory
If all the above solutions don’t work, you can try deleting the plug-in folder and reinstalling it using Chrome. Remember that this method may require administrator privileges. Make sure you are logged in as an administrator.
- Click on Windows + R to launch the Run application.
- Type “% userprofile% / appdata / local” in the dialog box and press Enter. You will be redirected to the desired folder.
- Go to the following file path: Google> Chrome> User Data
- Locate WidevineCdm in the list of folders, right-click and select “Delete.”
- Click on Windows + S, enter the task manager in the dialog box, right-click on the application and select “Run as administrator.”
- To stop all Chrome activity, right-click on Chrome entries and select End Task.
- Now go to method 1 and update the plug-in using the indicated steps. The module must be updated correctly, and your Chrome can be restarted.
- Restart your computer and try playing the video. I hope the problem will be solved.
Solution 4: Check for antivirus software
Depending on the antivirus used, security software can sometimes cause conflicts with the browser. Because PC security programs like McAfee, Norton, and Kaspersky have significant permissions, they can actually keep you from updating the plug-in.
You can check the configuration of your program to see if there are conflicting restrictions.
Or you’re experiencing temporary software or firewall deactivation. Try updating the plug-in while the antivirus program is temporarily disabled. This is a good alternative.
Solution 5: reinstall Chrome
A terrible reinstallation of Chrome, nobody wants to continue this way. But sometimes reinstallation can solve annoying problems.
After removal, all modules are deleted. This means that damaged components receive an update. Follow the steps you immediately exit to perform a reinstall.
- Use Windows + R to run the Run application on your computer.
- Enter appwiz.cpl in the dialog box. A window opens with a list of all installed applications.
- Right-click on Google Chrome and select “Delete.”
- After deletion, go to the official Google page and download Chrome.
- Run after download and install again.
- Make sure that reinstalling the browser solves the problem.
Other facts of general interest
What happens if WidevineCdm is missing? If WidevineCdm is not in chrome: // components /, don’t be afraid. First, make sure you’re using Chrome. In this case, follow the procedure below.
You need to uninstall Google Chrome, restart your computer or laptop and reinstall the program from the Chrome website of Google Chrome.
If it is running, enter chrome: // components / in the Chrome browser and search for WidevineCdm. I have to be there
To see if it is enabled, type chrome: // plugins in your browser’s address bar. Search for WidevineCdm.
If the component is disabled, click “Enable.” Restart the Chrome browser, close it and reopen it.
Other browsers and Widevine Cdm
Solution 6: Firefox and Widevine content decryption module
It’s not just included in Chrome but also used by Firefox. As explained by Mozilla in the support page, it is possible to use plug-ins, such as Microsoft Silverlight or Adobe Flash, to access certain DRM-controlled content. Many services, in particular, streaming content providers, are switching to HTML5 video, which requires DRM technology, and another – “Content Decryption Module (CDM).”
A Reddit user who broadcasts Netflix to Firefox often has problems with Widevine CDM. He said he tried many common fixes, including secure mode, enabling and disabling DRM, reinstalling, creating a new profile and eliminating all view data.
In the end, he found a solution that apparently temporarily erased his HOSTS file from the Windows System32 directory, etc and restarted Firefox, which allowed the module to update itself and correct the error. In particular, the HOSTS file is blocked by “0.0.0.0.0 redirector.gvt1.com”.
The removal allowed Firefox to update Widevine DRM, according to this user.
Solution 7. Opera and Widevine content decryption module
If you have streaming problems from Amazon Prime Video, Netflix or Hulu, and you think this is somehow related to the Widevine content decryption module, Opera has a support flow that includes some fixes. According to one user, this procedure worked well.
- Close the Opera.
- Change to the folder with Opera files.
- Enter the Widevinecdm folder.
- Delete or rename the folder with the version number.
- Run Opera.
- Go to Opera: // components /
- Update component.