There are many services on the computer. Some of them are designed to connect to the Internet, exchange data, and many other useful functions of a PC. Iphlpsvc is one of the main services for a computer in terms of connectivity.
An important fact is that if the connection to the IP Helper service interrupts, the computer will not work properly and will not provide all the benefits of Internet technology. Most people know almost nothing about this program, and it remains undeservedly unused.
Functionality and Assignment of IP Assistant
The IP Helper service provides a tunnel connection through 6to4, ISATAP, Port Proxy, and IP-HTTPS, also called the Internet Protocol Auxiliary Service, and is used to search and change network configuration parameters for a local computer. It creates tunnel connections using IPv6 transition technologies.
This IP Helper service comes with a Windows computer. Moreover, it does not require a manual start, as it starts automatically. IP Helper helps users to get information about PC network configuration and change it.
The service provides messaging mechanisms that notify the driver of changes to certain aspects of the computer network configuration. IP Helper is available in Windows Vista and later versions of Microsoft Windows.
Many of the IP Helper functions convey structural parameters that represent data types associated with MIB technology. The functions of the IP Helper service use MIB structures to represent various network information. The terms “adapter” and “interface” are widely used in the IP Helper documentation. An adapter is an abbreviated form of a network adapter.
Maintenance errors in the event log
If the IP helper service does not start automatically, but it records all the details of the error in the EventLog. As soon as Windows 10 starts, the user gets a notification that the Iphlpsvc service has stopped working due to errors on the device. Types of services that fail in IP Helper Win 10:
- NetIO Legacy driver support.
- Network store interface service.
- Remote Procedure Calls (RPC).
- TCP / IP drivers.
- Windows 10 IP Auxiliary Service Management Tool.
- WinHTTP proxy auto-discovery service.
If these services do not work in the user system, the IP service will stop functioning or respond.
To eliminate the check run the following services:
- DHCP client – automatic mode.
- DNS client – automatic mode.
- Network connections – manual mode.
- Network location information – auto mode.
- Remote call RP – automatic mode.
- TCP / IP Netbios helper – automatic mode.
- IPsec – manual mode.
- The network list service is automatic.
- Network Storage Interface Service is automatic.
Safely disable iphlpsvc
Many Microsoft users claim that the iphlpsvcs.exe IP service consumes a lot of RAM, and this is true. In addition, it takes a decent amount of space on the computer. Therefore, there are situations in which you need to disable it. Many users ask whether it is possible to do such an operation without harming the PC.
Experts believe that if a developer does not use a remote database and is not compatible with IPv6, then there is no reason why he should be wary of disabling this service.
However, there are some services that can cause problems when disconnecting, so before deactivating any service, users must make sure that they know these features and the consequences of disconnecting.
What if the auxiliary IP service loads the system?
Existing ways to disable IP or other unnecessary services are usually associated with the need to improve overall system performance. This is explained by the fact that each running program, regardless of whether it is important or not, uses resources that is necessary for other purposes.
As for the IP Helper service, after it is disabled or stopped, the advanced Internet connection features it provides will also stop working. The shutdown sequence of the auxiliary IP service iphlpsvc:
- Go to the “Start” menu and open the “Control Panel.”
- Go to “Administration and Service” and click on the tab.
- After selecting this option, a new window will appear on the screen, where the user must select services that are not used or not needed, mark them as “disabled,” and then click the “Accept” button.
Network boot with IPv6 enable check
Perform a clean boot in Windows to eliminate software conflicts when installing the Windows IP 7 helper service. And that this is a necessary procedure when upgrading a PC, it is essential for each user to know.
To implement it, you are first logged in with administrator rights, because only then can you run a clean start. The user may encounter some errors when starting the computer after performing a clean start. Therefore, first, make sure that the system configuration utility is not in use before the Microsoft support subsystem reports that the system is functioning correctly.
The user must also remember that network policy settings may affect performance, so you may need to check if IPv6 is enabled.
To do this, follow the instructions:
- Select “Start”, enter ncpa.cpl and press Enter. This will lead the user to the local connection configuration.
- Right click on the tab, then select “Properties” and check if IPv6 is enabled.
- Be sure to turn it on.
Starting and using Services.msc
This service is responsible for starting and stopping work. Using services.msc, the user can monitor the performance of the machine when starting and stopping processes. The Services.msc service console helps to enable and disable Windows services.
These programs are system level and run when the operating system starts. The user must learn the process step by step, following specific instructions that start the process or stop it.
Step-by-step connection process:
- Click on the “Start” button in Windows 7 with the Windows logo located in the left corner of the PC.
- In Windows 10, this is a button with a white logo, also located in the lower left corner of the screen.
- Find the program services.msc. For Win 7, search for “Program and File Search” is performed, and in Windows 10, enter services.msc in the line and confirm the input.
- This step involves starting a console maintenance program that will open a new window for the service.
- Find the service helper of the IP helper service node and open the properties by clicking “IP Helper” in the service console.
- A new small window will open with 4 tabs at the top.
- Open the “General” tab and find the “Startup Type.”
- The drop-down menu has 4 options, select “Disabled.”
- The default option is “Automatic Delay,” it needs to be changed to start or stop the process manually.
- After that, again, select the option “Automatic.”
- Now press the “Accept” button and close the properties window, then the “Service console” window.
- That’s all, and this is a complete procedure that you must follow step by step to manually disable the auxiliary IP Assistant service using the management console.
Enable service through the registry
This is a method that helps to perform a quality start of IP services. Registry Editor contains many Windows configuration options. Third-party software can also use the registry to store its settings. These settings are not visible to the average user.
Therefore, he should be careful when playing with the registry editor, and if he doesn’t know what to do, it is better not to delete anything and not change any settings. The user might encounter problems if any changes were made to the registry incorrectly.
This is the main problem that leads to the reinstallation of the OS. Changes to the registry editor always cause the user to risk the normal health of the PC.
Algorithm for managing IP services using Registry Editor:
- Check the start button in the menu.
- Enter Regedit and press enter. After entering the process, confirm control of the account.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ services \ iphlpsvc and check the registry key.
- Now double-click the Start File and then edit the value in the window.
- Change startup type to automatic – 2, manual – 3, disabled – 4, delayed – 2.
- Now enter the number 2 in the “Value” field and click “OK” to close the window.
Start and stop method cmd
This is a method that basically works with the IP change assistant from the command line. CMD or command line is the CLI interface. The command line is an executable CLI and executable from cmd.exe.
This is a powerful tool that is not available through GUI tools. CMD is called Command Shell – this is the official name for the Windows Command Processor.
There are a large number of commands for Windows 7 and 10. This is the main method of starting or stopping functions using the IP Change Assistant and the command line.
The user must complete the following steps:
- Open the Start menu and go to the search for programs and files.
- Enter as cmd and go to the cmd icon in the programs, click “Run as administrator.”
- When the process is complete, the user must confirm “User Account Control” and proceed with the further process.
- Select and copy the registration key; click the mouse on the command bar in the “Start.”
- To start the IP Assistant, you must enter the keywords: net stop iphlpsvc.
- Follow the process. For information: you can change the launch type: automatic, manual, disabled, and automatic (delayed start).
That’s all, and the user has successfully stopped the IP Helper service using the command net stop iphlpsvc in the command window
The Microsft system configuration utility, also known as Msconfig, is a Microsoft utility that was announced in Windows 98 and moved to all later versions of Windows.
This tool adjusts startup options for PCs, programs, or services that load when you turn on the Windows operating system. With Msconfig, you can easily start or stop IP Help services.
Algorithm for stopping IP Help service using MS configuration:
- Click on the “Start” button.
- Find services.msc.
- For Win 7, search for “Search for program and files” is performed, and in Win 10 – in the search bar.
- Enter msconfig and confirm Enter. This step involves opening the Microsft service configuration utility.
- Go to the system configuration before enabling the Windows 10 auxiliary IP service.
- A new window will appear with 5 main tabs: General, Download, Services, Start, and Tools.
- Click on the “Services” tab and find the IP Assistant.
- Unchecking the box on the left side of the IP Helper will stop the IP Helper service on startup.
- Now click the OK button to close the dialog box.
- That’s all, IP Help services are now disabled using the MSconfig utility or the Microsoft Services Configuration Utility.
IP Assistant Windows 7/10
The IP Helper service provides many advanced PC connectivity options. Like the HomeGroup and IPv6 transitions, it depends mainly on IPHLPSVC services. Iphlpsvc.dll is an executable file on a computer.
They contain machine code and the main program for smooth operation. To restore the IP Helper startup configuration, first, make sure that all the services it depends on are working correctly.
- Run a command prompt with administrator rights.
- Paste them into the line and press Enter: sc config iphlpsvc start = auto and sc start iphlpsvc.
- Close the line and restart the computer.
- The iphlpsvc service will apply the iphlpsvc.dll file to the \ System32 folder.
- If it has been modified, damaged or deleted, the customizer can restore its working version from the Win 7 installation disk.
Troubleshooting IP Assistant Failures
Before you install whether you can disable the IP helper service Windows 10, decide the issue of security. Due to wrong administrator actions, the operating system may stop working and will need a restart. For accurate system recovery, pre-create a restore point for the backup system.
Algorithm to create a restore point:
- Open the “Start” menu and find the item “Create a restore point.”
- Find the result “System Properties.”
- In the “System Protection Settings” section, select the main system disk, and click the “Create” button.
- Enter a description to help determine the correct restore point, for example, the date of the event.
- Click “Create” and “Accept.”
- This will create a backup point to restore the PC to its original configuration in case something goes wrong.
Network error 126
Often, when working with the system, an error related to No 126 for iphlpsvc.dll occurs, blocking the auxiliary IP service. You can disable it or follow the procedure for troubleshooting 126:
- Open section: HKLM \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \% ServiceName% \ Parameters.
- Check the value of the name of the corresponding DLL file for ServiceDLL.
- Check the location specified in ServiceDLL and make sure the file exists.
- If the file is not available in the location, in the HKLM \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ ServiceName \ Parameters \ serviceDLL key, copy the file from the production server with the same operating system and service pack level.
- Download and install the missing file, and now it should work.
Iphlpsvc (IP Helper Service) plays a very important role with regard to connecting IPv6 over an IPv4 network. However, as stated above, not everyone may need the benefits of the proposed compound.
In addition, it is not exempt from some problems that may lead to its closure. One of the main disadvantages of the service is that it consumes a lot of memory. Therefore, the user can disable it or configure manual start to enable the service only when necessary.
Video on lphlpsvc
We suggest that you familiarize yourself with the detailed instructions in the form of a video that visually describes each action presented in the article.