Sometimes a PC or laptop starts to slow down and freeze, and the Task Manager displays the MsMpEng.exe process, which consumes a lot of resources. What happens and how to fix the problem, we will tell you further.
What is the process MsMpEng.exe
MsMpEng.exe belongs to the standard “Windows Defender,” which by default replaces the antivirus, which nevertheless does not prevent malware from penetrating this computer.
Often it is this which causes the failure of work. MsMpEng.exe checks how safe the programs that are started and the downloaded files are, and from time to time, it scans whether the virus has settled in the hard drives.
Sometimes, however, the process is launched by mistake due to a conflict with the antivirus and prevents normal use of the computer. Now we have found out that this, with rare exceptions, this process is useful and important. Why is he so immoderate in the use of resources?
Why MsMpEng loads the processor
MsMpEng.exe, if it is started in the standard way, without errors, loads the processor in the following cases:
- when you left the computer for a long time in standby mode;
- at the time when you unzip something;
- Upon turning on the computer (especially in Windows 10 );
- when the program starts for the first time or after a long time.
If nothing like this happened, and the computer system still slows down due to the MsMpEng process, then something went wrong.
To find out the reason, try the following:
Turn on the computer and open the Task Manager. Find there MsMpEng.exe, remember or write down how much resources it spends.
After that, reboot, call the Dispatcher again and verify the figures. If the process gradually reduced consumption, click “Search” (next to the “Start” button) and enter “Control Panel”, then change the view mode to “Large icons”, open the “Power Options” section – “Power buttons action” and remove the check mark from the “Quick Start” item.
This can immediately solve the problem.
Update your antivirus to the latest version (it is the package itself, and not just the database, it will not affect the acquired license) and check whether the normal operation of the system has been restored.
- Scan your PC for viruses with the help of some reliable utility.
- Click Win + R, in the appeared window write: “cmd” without quotes and “Run.” Type “chkdsk C: / F / R” into the black box and click Enter. The system will check if there are any errors on the hard disk and correct them themselves.
If all this does not lead to anything, you just need to interrupt the process MsMpEng.exe.
Ways to disable MsMpEng.exe
The MsMpEng process (also known as Antimalware Service Executable) can be disabled in several ways:
- through the “Task Manager”;
- group policy;
- Security Center.
# Option 1: Disable through the “Task Manager”
If MsMpEng loads the disk for a long time, open the “Task Manager,” find it, select it, and click “Clear Task.” Now you need to make sure that the process does not start after the completion of work and reboot.
To do this, open the Services tab, double-click Windows Defender, select Disable, and save the changes. In this way, you can remove the problematic service from the launch, because it will not work to remove Windows Defender.
If the dispatching service does not display the processes belonging to the system, this state of affairs can be corrected by ticking the line “Show processes of all users” in the Task Manager.
# Option 2: Disable through group policy
A very convenient way for Windows 7, although you can try this way to disable MsMpEng in Windows 10 as well.
- Click the Win + R combination and type gpedit.msc in the row that appears and click “Enter.”
- Select the “PC Configurations” section and follow the path: Administrative template – Windows components – Windows Defender.
- Find the lines “Allow start …” and “Allow permanent job …” and change the type “Not set” to “Disabled.”
To fix the changes, restart the computer.
# Option 3: Disable through the “Security Center”
- At the bottom left, find the icon belonging to the Security Center, and click on it.
- In the window that opens, select the section “Virus protection” – “Protection settings” and move the slider, which is responsible for enabling real-time protection.
This method is suitable if you notice that the process msmpeng, exe does not always load memory, but only at some specific moment. After a while, “Defender” will work again.