Steam is a popular gaming platform where participants not only play but also communicate, brag about achievements, exchange items. Including post in your profile screenshots of good moments in the game or some situation that can impress other gamers. If you want to use images on social networks, you need to know where the screenshots of Steam are stored.
Creating screenshots in Steam during the game is extremely simple
- By default, the settings of the screen are made by pressing the F12 button. But reassign key you can in the client settings:
- go to “Settings” and select the “In game” section;
- In the “Keyboard shortcut for screenshots” field, enter a convenient button or combination.
- In some games, the F12 key is assigned a quick save function. And when you try to make a screen, a save will be made. You have two options: disable the quick save function or use the standard Print Screen key:
- Click the PrintScreen button. The game moment will be recorded on the clipboard. If any data applications are installed on the computer, you may be asked to save the screen in a folder. If not, go to the next item;
- Open any graphic editor and click “Create,” then in the new “Paste” document. Some editors will immediately suggest creating a new file from the clipboard;
- Save the screenshot in a convenient folder.
In the second method, the images are in the place designated by you, but the information where screenshots are saved after pressing the F12 button is not displayed anywhere.
How to find it
The need to find screenshots may arise in different situations:
- you want to fill your Steam profile with beautiful gaming moments;
- share on third-party services, for example, in social networks, a photo of some weapon that you found or purchased in the game;
- Add an image from a third-party game or someone else’s screen to your Steam profile.
Ways to find Steam screenshots
Using Steam Interface
The easiest option is to use the Steam application interface. To fill your profile or share photos in social networks, you do not even need to know where on the disc Steam saves images:
- Open the client.
- Go to the “View” menu.
- Select “Screenshots.”
- In the window that appears, all screenshots will be displayed. They are divided into categories. From the drop-down menu, you can select a specific game and see the photos taken in it.
- Next, you can select an image and click “Download” on the right side of the screen. After that, the download to the Steam Cloud will begin, and the photo will be available to your friends.
- If you have a Facebook account attached, you can upload a picture and go there directly by ticking the appropriate box.
- You can view uploaded images by clicking the “View online” button.
If you want to use images outside the platform, then in step 5, don’t press “Download,” but “Show on disk.” A folder with all the saved pictures from this game will open. You can write the path to it or display a shortcut on your desktop to provide quick access in the future.
From the system disk
You can go through a more difficult way and manually find where the screenshots taken in the Steam program are stored:
- Go to the system disk.
- Go to Program Files.
- Locate the Steam folder and in it User data.
- Next, there will be a directory with your ID number, and there will be a lot of folders with numeric names, in which there will be a necessary directory with snapshots, it is called “remote.”
These sets of numbers correspond to the internal designation of games, so it is very difficult to find the right picture among them because the names do not appear there. The thumbnails folder contains images in compressed quality for presentation in the preview window.
To make it easier for you to access the images further, you can determine for yourself where the screenshots taken in the Steam game will be:
- Open the client.
- Go to the Settings menu.
- Select “In the game.”
- Locate the Screenshot Folder button or similar name, depending on your software version.
- Determine the path by which game images will be saved. After that, you can easily contact them.
Video on finding Steam Screenshots Folder
Thus, you can work with screenshots directly from the Steam application. For example, share with friends, share on social networks. Or you can refer directly to the location of the files, copy them from there to a USB flash drive or send an e-mail. Reverse actions are also possible.
For example, download a beautiful picture from the Internet, copy it into the folder where Steam screenshots are located with the identical name, and then, through the client, put it into the community. Write in the comments if you did not manage to find screenshots or you know something interesting about using screenshots in the Steam gaming platform.