Windows Old is known as a folder that is created at the time we have upgraded our Windows operating system from one version to another. This can happen in any of the versions. We will explain step by step how to delete the windows.old folder.
It has been happening since Windows Vista exists and it is where we will find all the information related to all those files of the installation that Windows had previously.
This has the importance of being able to restore the previous version of the operating system if you have regretted updating it. However, many want to eliminate it and do not know how; It is what we will explain to you next.
How to delete Windows.Old?
It has created automatically when we have updated our version of Windows. It has some specific functions that can help us.
As the restoration of the previous version of Windows, you had, as well as help you when looking for a file that you noticed that was not copied at the time of the update.
It is in that folder where you can find everything related to the Windows operating system that you previously had. You can find all kinds of files, such as the following:
- Files are belonging to the operating system.
- Programs that you have already installed in the previous version.
- Accounts of the users you own.
- The configurations and the files.
Why is the Windows.Old folder created and why can not it be easily deleted?
This folder is created by the new operating system update to guarantee restoration to the previous version, in case you have regretted installing the new one.
In addition to also serve us when looking for a file that we did not find and that may not have been copied at the time of installation. However, this folder is deleted once a month has passed.
Despite being a very useful folder, it can take up a lot of space in your computer storage, reaching a minimum of 12 GB in the hard disk space, this will depend on the size of the installation.
Unfortunately, we can not delete this folder as we would in a normal case to delete any file or folder in the file browser. At the moment the attempt is made, it will send an error message.
Tutorial to erase Windows.Old
An excellent way to erase this folder is by using the Windows tool known as Disk Cleaner. To access it, you must do the following:
- Go to My Computer or Computer.
- After that, you should click with the right mouse button on the drive C of your computer.
- Next, you must access the part of the Properties.
- After that, you will get a small button with the option “Disk cleaner.”
- Immediately, a window will open where a list of files will appear; This is where you should find the one that says “Windows Preinstallation.”
- Once selected, the same tool will tell you all the space that the files are occupying.
- Check the box for that option.
- Click on the Delete option to have the entire hard disk of those files cleaned.
It should be noted that when you perform this procedure, it is also recommended to eliminate unnecessary files that will appear in the list to achieve a better optimization on your computer.
How to delete Windows.Old Windows 7?
Folder and the fastest one is with the freeing of hard disk space of the operating system. In the same way, it is recommended if your computer has Windows 7.
Tutorial to erase Windows.Old Windows 7
- Open Windows startup by pressing the corresponding key that has the Windows icon on the keyboard.
- Followed by that, you should write “Space Cleaner.”
- Access the option that will appear in the results.
- Once accessed, you will get a small window where there is a large list of files that you can remove from your computer.
- You will have to click on the button that says “Clean system files.” You will find it easily under the list, on the left side of “View files.”
- Immediately, a small window will appear where you will see the progress of analysis and cleaning of the hard disk.
- Wait while the process is finished and you will notice that a small list with some files to select will appear to be able to eliminate them.
- You must check the box in the option that appears as “Previous Windows Installations.”
- Take advantage of and delete those files that you see are unnecessary and are taking up space on your hard drive. It is recommended that you select those temporary files
- Once the selection is finished, you must click on the option that says “Accept.”
- After that, you will get a message where you will be asked if you are sure to delete all the selected files permanently. To this, you will have to click on “Delete files.”
- There are occasions where another message comes out related to the files that we are deleting, especially for Windows Old and the temporary ones. However, it will only suffice that you press “Yes.”
- Wait a few seconds, and all the files you had selected on your Windows 7 computer will have been deleted.
How to delete Windows.Old Windows 8?
There is a very particular way to access the Hard Disk Cleaner tool in Windows 8 operating systems; this in order to be able to delete the Windows Old folder definitely.
Tutorial to erase Windows.Old Windows 8
This tutorial will help you if you have Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 so you just need to follow this procedure:
- Click with the right mouse button on the Windows start icon on the screen.
- Next, you must choose the option that says “Control Panel.”
- Once inside, you will have several options; You have to select the one that says “System and security.”
- Next, you must access the “Administrative Tools” section.
- Once there, you will get the corresponding option with the “Disk Cleanup.”
- You may see a little window pop up where it will ask you which disk you want to clean, to which you will have to choose the C; which is the local disk of your computer.
- Once the Cleaner window is opened, you should then give the option that says, “Clean system files.”
- Followed by that, you will have to choose the disk C of your computer again.
- You will get a small list where you will find several alternative files that you can delete.
- You must check the box where “Previous Windows Installations” is located.
- After that, you must click on the button at the bottom that says, “OK.”
- Then, you must click on “Delete files” to confirm the operation and that’s it. The folder on our hard drive will have been deleted.
How to delete Windows.Old Windows 10?
Now, if you want to know how to delete the Windows Old folder of your computer with the Windows 10 operating system, we will explain a very simple and quick method to do it.
Tutorial to erase Windows.Old Windows 10
To perform the removal of this folder, you just have to follow the procedure that we will explain below :
- Click on the Windows start icon or press the corresponding Windows key.
- Next, you must click on the gear icon, corresponding to the configuration of the computer.
- Followed by that, you must select the “System” section.
- After that, you should look at the menu that will appear on the right side of the window. There you will find the option of “Storage” to which you must access.
- Once inside, you must select the hard drive so that all the options of this one appear to you.
- You must select the one that says specifically “Temporary files.”
- At once you will get a long list with lots of files that you can remove without fear, because the same name says, are temporary.
- You must select the corresponding file with “Old version of Windows.”
- Once there, you should click on the option that says, “Remove files.”
- Wait while the process is finished and your computer’s folder will be deleted.
How to delete Windows Old with CMD?
It should be noted that there is a way to delete the Windows Old folder from your computer with the use of the CMD or System Symbol. It is very simple to achieve it and we will explain how to do it.
Tutorial to erase Windows.Old with CMD
This option will work for any of the versions of the Windows operating system; you just have to follow these simple steps:
- Access the Windows start icon on your computer or press the corresponding Windows key.
- After that, you must type “cmd.exe” on your keyboard.
- When it appears in the results, you must click on it with the right mouse button.
- Next, you must give the corresponding option with “Run as administrator.”
- Immediately, the command console will open in the typical black background window.
- You will have to enter a series of commands that we will give you below, without any space after each one and taking into account that no script is pasted:
- takedown / F c: Windows.old * / R / A
- cacls c: Windows.old *. * / T / grant administrators: F
- rmdir / S / Q c: Windows.old
Each time you enter a command, you must press ENTER on your keyboard to be analyzed in the CMD. It should be noted that you should be very aware of the messages that will come out.
This is because if it comes out, “Are you sure? Y / N “ after having written one, then you must write the letter ” S “ and press enter again on your keyboard to confirm the chosen procedure.
Once all this process is finished, we will have successfully removed the Windows Old folder.
What is the use of deleting Windows.Old with CMD?
Each of the commands that are introduced in the CMD has specific functions.
The first one we introduce is the one that will serve to give all the authority to the administrators to have ownership of the folder and all the files that are contained inside.
It is for this same reason that we have to select the option “Run as administrator” to make it work. The command that is entered later is the one that will serve to have all the property of the folder.
In addition to having all the property of this, we would also have the files and all the folders that are contained there. And it is the last command that we introduce that makes the final function to eliminate this folder.
Remove Windows.Old with Ccleaner
Finally, we will explain a method that you can use to delete the Windows Old folder from your computer using the Ccleaner. This form will work for all versions of Windows.
Tutorial to erase Windows.Old with Ccleaner
- The first thing you should do is download and install the program on your computer.
- After that, you must open the program on your computer.
- Next, the “Clean” option will appear on the right side of the window, with an icon of a broom.
- You must uncheck all the options that will appear in the list, except for the corresponding box with the “Windows Old installation.”
- Once selected, you must click on the blue button that says “Analyze.”
- Wait while the scan is performed and the size of that folder will appear in the results.
- You will have to click on the option that says, “Run cleaning button.”
- Wait a few seconds and you will have permanently deleted this folder from your computer.
Note that you can also select those files or folders that you see unnecessary on your PC to clean the hard drive of these.